Why So Serious?
Photobucket



Wednesday, July 30, 2008,

You may or may have not seen this. I came across this guy a few weeks ago, did not expect this great man to die so soon.

Randy Pausch (1960-10-23–2008-07-25) was a Professor of Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, and Design at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States and a best-selling author, who achieved worldwide fame for his speech The Last Lecture at Carnegie Mellon University, after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and having only a few months to live.

He gave his Last Lecture before his death. I watched his Last Lecture video on YouTube, motivational and inspiring to me. Made me reflect of what I have been doing. His positive attitude towards life and sense of humour are something which I really admire.

This is a summarised version of him appearing on Oprah.


If you have time to watch the 1-hr long version, then visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo&e

Some quotes from him which I cannot agree more.

  • The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.

  • When you see yourself doing something badly and nobody's bothering to tell you anymore, that's a very bad place to be. Your critics are the ones telling you they still love you and care.

  • Wait long enough and people will surprise and impress you.

  • You get people to help you by telling the truth; by being earnest. I'll take an earnest person over a hip person every day, because hip is short-term, earnest is long term.

  • Don't complain; just work harder.

  • Find the best in everybody.

  • It's not about how to achieve your dreams. It's about how to lead your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you.

  • It took me a long time but I finally figured it out: when it comes to men that are romantically interested in you, it's really simple: just ignore everything they say, and only pay attention to what they do. It's that simple. It's that easy.

  • If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, All The Time.

  • Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

  • It is not the things we do in life that we regret on our death bed. It is the things we do not. Find your passion and follow it.
I bought his book today, do not ask me why, I just want to find out more.

May this great guy R.I.P

11:39 PM